The Resource The one and only Ivan
- The one and only Ivan
- Statement of responsibility
- Katherine Applegate ; illustrations by Patricia Castelao
- trueShopping malls
- trueAnimal welfare
- Animal welfare -- Juvenile fiction
- trueCaptive wild animals
- Dogs -- Juvenile fiction
- trueElephant babies
- Elephants -- Juvenile fiction
- Friendship -- Juvenile fiction
- Gorilla -- Juvenile fiction
- Shopping malls -- Juvenile fiction
- Ivan is an easygoing gorilla. Living at the Exit 8 Big Top Mall and Video Arcade, he has grown accustomed to humans watching him through the glass walls of his domain. He rarely misses his life in the jungle. In fact, he hardly ever thinks about it at all. Instead, Ivan thinks about TV shows he's seen and about his friends, Stella, an elderly elephant, and Bob, a stray dog. But mostly Ivan thinks about art and how to capture the taste of a mango or the sound of leaves with color and a well-placed line. Then he meets Ruby, a baby elephant taken from her family, and she makes Ivan see their home- and his own art-through new eyes. When Ruby arrives, change comes with her, and it's up to Ivan to make it a change for the better.-- Book cover
- ALA Notable Children's Book, 2013
- Bluestem Award: Illinois' Grades 3-5 Readers' Choice Award, 2015.
- Flicker Tale Children's Book Award (North Dakota) for Intermediate Books, 2013.
- Garden State Children's Book Award (New Jersey), Children's Fiction, 2015.
- Great Lakes Great Books Award (Michigan), Grades 4-5, 2014.
- Massachusetts Children's Book Award, 2016.
- Newbery Medal, 2013.
- North Carolina Children's Book Award, Junior Books category, 2016.
- Nutmeg Children's Book Award, Intermediate category, 2016.
- Pennsylvania Young Reader's Choice Awards, Grades 3-6, 2014.
- Sequoyah Book Awards (Oklahoma), Children’s Books, 2015.
- School Library Journal Best Books, 2012.
- Surrey Schools' Book of the Year Award (British Columbia), 2014.
- Virginia Readers' Choice Award for Elementary School, 2014.
- Awards note
- Newbery Medal, 2013.
- no index present
- Intended audience
- Ages 8-12
- Intended audience source
- Interest level
- Literary form
- Nature of contents
- Reading level
- Study program name
- Accelerated Reader
- Target audience
ContextContext of The one and only Ivan
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work The one and only Ivan
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.livebrary.com/resource/JKlsyyBLncM/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.livebrary.com/resource/JKlsyyBLncM/">The one and only Ivan</a></span> - <span property="potentialAction" typeOf="OrganizeAction"><span property="agent" typeof="LibrarySystem http://library.link/vocab/LibrarySystem" resource="http://link.livebrary.com/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.livebrary.com/">Public Libraries of Suffolk County, New York</a></span></span></span></span></div>